Prisma provides excellent tools for developers to build data-driven applications.
At its core, the popular open-source Prisma ORM for Node.js and TypeScript is known for its intuitive data model, migrations, type-safety, and auto-completion. It currently has ~1.5M weekly NPM downloads and is used by millions of developers around the world.
Next-generation ORM for Node.js & TypeScript | PostgreSQL, MySQL, MariaDB, SQL Server, SQLite, MongoDB and CockroachDB
In fact, Dub.co itself uses the Prisma ORM under the hood to handle database queries and migrations – here is our Prisma Schema file, fully open-source as well!
Earlier this month, Petra from the Prisma team reached out with one simple request – they wanted to migrate their existing
pris.ly short links to Dub.
pris.ly links were used in their various online communications, as well as the Prisma ORM to link to documentation and other resources. For example, the following link in the default Prisma schema would redirect to the Prisma Schema docs page:
In the past, Prisma used a custom-built solution to handle short links. However, this solution was not ideal for a few reasons:
- Lack of analytics: There was no way to track which links were clicked on the most, or where the clicks were coming from.
- Potential for link conflicts: As the number of links grew, it became increasingly difficult to ensure that each link was unique.
- Complicated UX and slow updates: To add a new link, a user would have to create a new pull request on the GitHub repository, merge it, and wait ~10 seconds for the new link to be deployed.
"We wanted something that not only enables everyone at Prisma to create short links easily, but also provides more analytics for those links."
Head of Developer Connections
Dub.co was the perfect solution for Prisma's use case – given its ease of use and powerful analytics.
In less than a day, Prisma was able to migrate all 250+ of their existing
pris.ly links to Dub, and the value prop was clear from the start:
- Analytics on each link: Dub.co provides detailed analytics on each link, including the number of clicks over time, location data, device data, and more.
- Easy to create new links: Dub.co provides a simple UI to create new links, along with useful features such as tags to help organize links.
- Smooth UX and instant updates: With Dub, Prisma can now easily create short links that are instantly available to use – no more waiting for 10 seconds for the link to be deployed.
"Dub.co is a fantastic product – the value prop was clear in just 5 mins of us going live with it, when the first short link was created."
Head of Developer Connections
Since migrating to Dub, Prisma has been able to quickly create new links and track the performance of each link. This gave them insight into which links are most used and how they can make even better use of those resources.
"Dub.co makes it so much easier to quickly create links when helping users on Twitter, Slack, or Discord – as well as track the performance of those links. Really awesome product!"
Senior Developer Advocate
Learn more about Dub.co's Analytics feature and how you can leverage it to drive better insights for your marketing campaigns.